Thursday, March 26, 2009

Experiment Day

Mary, Cob and Abi have been taking turns experimenting in the kitchen during quiet time/naps. Monday was Abi's turn. Last week she made a very soupy concoction that had to be baked in custard dishes. It was slightly glue like in consistency. She decided she would follow a recipe to insure better success. Mary took charge of Chloe, I headed up to lay down with the little boys (yes I am thankful Baruch still naps!). I hadn't been up there two minutes when Abi asked what the 1 in front of the 1/4 was for. She had the 1/4 cup measure with her so I explained to put in one cup, then the 1/4 cup. Off she went, and I, back to resting.

30 minutes later I came down to find Abi ready to form the dough into cookies. The dough looked beautiful. I tried a snitch to see how it turned out. Ew! I must have gotten a clump of baking soda in my bite. Another taste. Ew! Gross! "So Abi how much baking soda did
you put in?"

"Let's see," looking at the recipe "1/2,"

"1/2 Cup?"

"Yup."

"How much baking powder?"

"The same amount and the same for the vanilla. Those were easy, they were all the same amount."

Needless to say she threw that batch away. I explained about teaspoons and tablespoons and the next batch turned out GREAT! 



3 comments:

HopiQ said...

This is great! It is so good that you are letting them experiment and learn. I am sure they will never forget from here on out the difference between cups, teaspoons, and tablespoons. (enjoy the cookies!)

~Lisa, Scot, & Tim said...

Now that's funny! I was picturing it in my mind as I was reading. I read it too my husband and he got a good laugh as well. I'm sure I will think about it again later and laugh some more. I'm sure life stays quite interesting with 6 little ones.

Tonya said...

Go Abi!!

background image