Sunday, July 20, 2008

Broken Cups and Eternity

When Grandma Nell died each of my siblings and I got a cup from her
collection. I was living in Raleigh at the time so Mark told me to
keep his cup too. I hated to have the cups packed away and not enjoy
seeing them and being reminded of Grandma so had them displayed on
the hutch in the dinning room. About two years ago the hutch got
bumped and mine shattered. Last week Jacob, Mary and I were playing
monopoly at the dinning room table when Jacob jumped up to run in the
kitchen for a drink. The whole dinning room shook as a loop on his
painters jeans caught on the hutch. Mary immediately started crying
when she saw the broken cup. Jacob felt terrible and right away said
he should have slowed down. I cried a bit as I remember Grandma's
kitchen and the smell of freshly baked coffee cake. I could just
picture her stooping over to take it out of the oven. What an
excellent reminder that our earthly possessions are just that,
earthly. We talked about storing up our treasures in heaven. Won't
an eternal reward be far greater than ANYTHING this earth has to offer?

No comments:

background image